Foreign Visitors Fellowship Program
The application deadline is October 15, 2018. Due to a change in schedule of the University’s selection committee, this year’s application period is shorter than usual. We appreciate your understanding.
September 12, 2018
The Slavic-Eurasian Research Center (SRC) of Hokkaido University is pleased to announce the 41st round of the SRC’s Foreign Visitors Fellowship Program for 2019-2020*.
Foreign specialists in studies of the former Soviet and East European countries, who are interested in spending several months at the SRC during the academic year of 2019-2020, may submit applications for this program.
Applicants should choose their period of stay at the SRC: Within the period from July 1, 2019 to March 27, 2020, applicants will be able to name their preferred period but not shorter than two months.
After the selection process, the SRC reserves the right to ask nominated applicants to change the period of stay at the Center.
* After the restructuring of foreign visitors systems of the Hokkaido University, the SRC runs its foreign visitors fellowship program within the new system which is managed and financed by the University.
The Center undertakes to provide the following:
- One round-trip air ticket (economy-class) between the place of work of a fellow and Sapporo. Fellows are welcome to bring their family, but at their own expense. Fellows must pay shipping and customs clearance charges for their own luggage.
- A living allowance of around 380,000 - 500,000 yen per month (subject to change). (Please be aware that the sum of taxation on your income in Japan will depend on whether a Tax Treaty exists between Japan and your country. The treaty will help you avoid double taxation.)
- Accommodation - either a flat in the University’s Foreign Scholars’ Residence or a furnished flat outside the University campus. The availability of the former depends on the period of stay. In both cases you will have to pay monthly rent and utilities cost.
- A travel allowance for daily commuting to and from the Center.
- An office at the Center (with the use of a personal computer) and access to all the University and library facilities. No secretarial service is provided.
- The visiting scholar must subscribe to Japanese national health insurance and pension. The insurance will pay 70% of your medical expenses.
- The visiting scholar is free to engage in a limited amount of travel for professional purposes within Japan. Foreign travel must be approved by the director in accordance with the regulations.
The above-mentioned conditions are preliminary and changes may occur when the details of the program are finally determined.
Visiting fellows have the following obligations to the Center:
- The Center will expect each fellow to give at least two presentations at academic meetings held in Japan, including the SRC.
- Each fellow must contribute an article during or immediately after his/her stay in Sapporo to the Center’s international refereed journal Acta Slavica Iaponica on a subject within the broad confines of Slavic and Eurasian studies.
- The visiting fellow is also expected to give lectures to graduates students, actively join seminars and symposia, and collaborate with the SRC research fellows during and after his/her stay at the SRC.
Applicants should submit applications for this program by the deadline (October 15, 2018).
Applications must be sent by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each applicant is expected to have at least two letters of reference sent directly to the Center: one letter from the institution to which the applicant is attached, testifying that he or she will be free during the period of the stay in Sapporo, and another confidential letter from a recognized specialist in their field.
It is the responsibility of applicants to make sure that letters of reference should arrive at the Center by the deadline.
Referees are requested to send their signed letters by e-mail: email@example.com.
The selection will be conducted in two stages:
In the first stage the SRC makes a list of candidates of foreign fellows after carefully examining the applicants’ research plans, academic publications, possible contributions to the SRC’s projects and other factors. Preference is given to those who have both permanent academic positions and PhD degrees (or their equivalents).
The list will be submitted to the University’s special selection committee by the middle of November 2018. In the second stage the University’s committee decides the final list of foreign fellows and the selection result will be informed to the SRC by the end of January 2019.
Applicants will be informed about the result of the first stage of the selection process in November 2018.
The SRC will inform all candidates about the final result of the selection in February 2019.
Correspondence concerning this program should be addressed to:
Head, Foreign Visitors Fellowship Program
Professor Tomohiko Uyama / Ms Mika Osuga
Slavic-Eurasian Research Center, Hokkaido University
Kita-9, Nishi-7, Kita-ku, Sapporo 060-0809, Japan
Tel.: (+81) 11-706-2388
Fax. : (+81) 11-706-4952
*Information about the SRC is available through the Internet: